Date:      Wed, 1 Feb 1995 17:35:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Alok K. Dhir" <adhir@bigdipper.umd.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Back ups?

Hey all - here's a question that's been bugging me for a while...

I have a HP 35480 DAT drive on my FreeBSD machine which I use for backing
up the system.  I have yet to come accross a solution to automate this
task however.  I use dump and so far, every time I've made another
backup, I simply insert a fresh (or outdated) tape and dump the contents
of all the filesystems on to it.  I have not found a way to write a tape
mark (other than the 'eof' that st allows you to write) so that I can put
multiple backups (level 0, then level 1, 2, etc) on the same tape.  The
eof doesn't seem to work as a tape mark since I can never find the
doggone thing once I've written it.  As a result, I have to overwrite the
entire tape each time.

Now, maybe I'm missing some vital data or am ignorant of something that
everyone else knows but me, so enlighten me! :-)

Has anyone developed a good system of regularly scheduled, automated
backups that don't require you to switch tapes every day?  My drive can
hold 8 gigs on a 90m tape, and it only needs to back up about 3.
Furthermore, there is no point in backing up the same data over and over
again, I'd rather back up only what's changed.

Any help?

 | Al Dhir, Programmer Analyst        /___\    UMCP Ag-Engineering Dept    |
 | Internet: adhir@bigdipper.umd.edu  (o o)    (301) 405-1197              |