Date:      Thu, 2 Aug 2012 13:54:35 +0100
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@theravensnest.org>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: On cooperative work [Was: Re: newbus' ivar's limitation..]
References:  <CACqU3MUh1XPScRHNc-ivOYLmbG0_UqpwBNWeoPA84uSOESH_bg@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ-FndCHxpTfc%2Bb5zgiX2NheaQN1LcJXBRubef4_GAYCy_pb2g@mail.gmail.com> <CACqU3MWo=ieaduuwZDF6SfzUUS5y1qzP5e2Ddg6Aphnz_O2PJw@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ-FndCDpD3rnQFwiOSGofP9cPCxC5Zo%2BPLfxALY8pnE=2HQMA@mail.gmail.com> <CACqU3MW2JEtDK0Ngdf_Br6D%2BVvdU1B9LmN0fm0F9=bG0f2iW4Q@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ-VmomhHxG8t9Sw7de%2BzUnbz0O5GSY4ifpHFtCb9JS_zS0rBA@mail.gmail.com> <CACqU3MUKGcy8rNz0FcZLVat49BmRLD3hVKX%2BOXxkzwRDugKtAw@mail.gmail.com> <612DA8A3-121E-4E72-9E5B-F3CBA9DEB7F7@bsdimp.com> <CACqU3MU-WyNFf5UZGx15m_HWBx_6W272qkfqHHJ8G7v%2BJCK2Sw@mail.gmail.com> <FAE07410-CA99-4061-856F-799DB9D225BE@bsdimp.com> <501A0258.4010101@FreeBSD.org>

On 2 Aug 2012, at 05:30, Doug Barton wrote:

> I used to ask the PTB to provide *some* form of remote participation =
for
> even a fraction of the events at the dev summit. I don't bother asking
> anymore because year after year my requests were met with any of:
> indifference, hostility, shrugged shoulders (that's a hard problem =
that
> we can't solve), or embarrassment. Since if the right people around =
here
> want something to happen, it happens; I finally came to the conclusion
> that they didn't want remote participation to happen, so it won't.
> That's a shame.

You haven't asked for this for the Cambridge DevSummit, but others have =
and so we have arranged for cameras and microphones to be available for =
two of the sessions (the DocSummit and the ARM working group) to allow =
those who can not attend in person for various reasons to participate. =20=

I don't know how useful it will be (hopefully everything will work, but =
my experience with video conferencing is that it stops working as soon =
as you try to do something important with it), but there is certainly no =
active attempt to exclude people who can't attend. =20

After each DevSummit, the results seem to appear on the wiki quite =
promptly - often during the sessions.  At BSDCan this year, two of the =
working groups that I attended used OpenEtherPad to take minutes, so =
they were available in real time for non-attendees and people outside of =
the room were able to add things to them.  There are usually people in =
the room on IRC as well, who are willing to relay things from people =
outside.

David=