Date:      Sun, 06 Oct 2002 15:58:07 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VIRUS in ISO images?

> Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 00:58:24 +0200
> From: Hanspeter Roth <hanspeter_roth@hotmail.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
>   On Oct 04 at 23:13, Olivier Boniteau spoke:
>
> > I've taken a virus (bloodhound.mbr) in the following
> > mirror:
>
> Where is the virus claimed to be located?
>
> I had an installation with the FreeBSD boot selector. And one
> scanner (maybe norton 2 or 4) claimed there were a virus in the MBR.
> When I booted from another disk that scanner installation didn't
> complain about any virus...

Yes, this was a pet peeve of mine with Norton prior to V5. It
reported the MBR as infected with the "bloodhound" virus, but when you
looked up the virus at Symantec, it was simply something unexpected in
the MBR and the FreeBSD BootEasy MBR was not something Norton expected.

Norton stopped doing this when I went to V5 and I have not seen this
bogus warning since.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)