Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 1998 13:25:15 +0000
From:      Sergey Solyanik <solik@atom.ru>
To:        Daniel Cristini <dcristini@oplk.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oracle on FreeBSD

Daniel Cristini wrote:

>         I have been following the mail discussions about running Oracle on
>         FreeBSD and having the need to do so myself I gave it a try.
>
>         Here are the results I got on trying to make Oracle 7.3.2 for SCO run
>         on FreeBSD:

[big descr skipd]

>         So my attempts to get Oracle running on FreeBSD have not been very
>         succesful, if anybody got an idea on where I screwed up I would
>         appreciate a line...

Okay, first of all, You need a full copy of installed Oracle (from Your
SCO). Then create equvalent environment for oracle7 user... Don't forgot
to link /dev/socksys to /dev/null...

And You should recompile your kernel to support SHM* features (in fact,
not only to support, but to increase all constants from LINT), and apply
a patch to kernel.
Here it is:     (It's not mine. It's from Remy NONNENMACHER
<remy@synx.com>)

 ---8<---
Ah, if you want to run that shit called SQL-Net, you will need to change
the
following in the FreeBSD ibcs2 (SCO and co) emulation
:

sys/i386/ibcs2/ibcs2_ioctl.c
:

  around line 654
:

        case IBCS2_FIONREAD:     /* STREAMS
*/
        case IBCS2_I_NREAD:     /* STREAMS
*/
                SCARG(uap, cmd) =
FIONREAD;
                return ioctl(p, (struct ioctl_args *)uap,
retval);

(Yes, Oracle netsucks, sometime, DO polling
!!!).
 ---8<---

If You want more information - write me, or andy@atom.ru, or
severov@atom.ru

Good luck!
--
 Solik.                                               [Team OS/2]
 SSV3-RIPE             ...See You on the Dark Side of the Moon...