Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2001 01:33:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Wing Tim <twchim1@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Snoop configuration

Wing Tim wrote to ryan@sasknow.com:

> Hi, Ryan,
>   But how should I enable this snoop (bpf) in the kernel? Also what steps I
> need to start it?
>   Thanks!

Hi Wing,

If you're using 4.x (I believe you are), then bpf is already enabled in
the kernel. You should already be able to run tcpdump as root. If the bpf
devices don't already exist, run the following commands:

	cd /dev
	sh MAKEDEV bpf*

If you're running a version of FreeBSD prior to 4.0, you'll need to enable
the bpfilter pseudo device in the kernel. This isn't so bad. Add:

	pseudo-device	bpfilter	4

to your kernel configuration, rebuild/install, and reboot. Again, this
step only applies to older versions of FreeBSD that do not have bpf
compiled in by default.

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon