Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2006 21:24:03 -0800
From:      "Jack Vogel" <jfvogel@gmail.com>
To:        "Sam Wun" <smw2010@gmail.com>
Cc:        Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>, RelEng <re@freebsd.org>, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>, freebsd-net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposed 6.2 em RELEASE patch

On 11/8/06, Sam Wun <smw2010@gmail.com> wrote:
> Without introduced this new patch, can I still use sysctl to maximise its
> performance like FAST_INTR?

Not sure if I'm understanding you, but let me try.

You cannot attain the same receive performance without
the patch. When I use SmartBits and blast UDP packets
at TWO fiber PCI-E NICS and set it to 70% utilization of
the line it will just BURY the system, meaning that the
shell on the console will appear wedged. Once you stop the
test it recovers, but during it its totally consumed handling
interrupts. Perhaps with careful tweaking of everything you
can make things better, but if so that goes beyond my
tuning knowledge. Just one NIC will be OK, and if I drop
the utilization down to 45% its ok, but 50 and up and we
go into the tank, as it were :)

If you compile with EM_FAST_INTR then the system
will continue to operate quite well with the same load.

Now, this is one kind of load, and there is still other types
that work just fine without FAST_INTR, and without the
patch you can still use sysctl to adjust tuning parameters
as your needs vary. BUT, I do not believe you can do as
well as you can with FAST_INTR on, this is why I wanted
to get this code back into the driver conditionally before
RELEASE.

Does that answer your question Sam?

Regards,

Jack