Date:      Wed, 21 Oct 2015 16:35:25 +0200
From:      Julien Cigar <jcigar@ulb.ac.be>
To:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
Cc:        "Brandon J. Wandersee" <brandon.wandersee@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, krad <kraduk@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: gjournal and TRIM: A safe combination?

--w8QetmdSDwT395M8

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 09:15:33AM -0500, Adam Vande More wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 8:44 AM, Brandon J. Wandersee <
> brandon.wandersee@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> > I thought the opposite, myself. `gjournal` has its own section in the
> > Handbook, while SU+J isn't even mentioned.
>=20
>=20
> Unfortunately, this is not a safe assumption.  The handbook is maintained
> by volunteers.  The volunteers generally do a pretty good job, but are a
> few negatives of this approach.  They aren't generally interested in
> updating old documentation which doesn't directly apply to them.  The
> provided documentation is how they think it should be done: right, wrong =
or
> somewhere in-between.
>=20
> A lot of things don't get the attention they deserve like SU+J, GELI over
> GBDE, and in-kernel NAT w/ FreeBSD single native firewall ipfw.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> > I also thought there was
> > something fundamentally different about them--like SU+J simply maintains
> > filesystem integrity, while gjournal actually protects files from the
> > write hole as well as protecting the filesystem. I could be wrong.
> >
>=20
> There is a fundamental difference between them.  Don't you think you shou=
ld
> investigate the differences prior to deciding what to use?
>=20
> It's not at clear what your goal is here.  Do you want to minimize writes
> to the ssd or do you want to ensure the fs is always consistent from both=
> meta-data and data perspective.  These options are mutually exclusive in
> the parameters you've laid out.

to resume:

SU =3D metadata consistency
SU+J =3D journaled metadata consistency=20
gjournal =3D metadata + data consistency (block based)

Correct me if I'm wrong but, unless there is a bug in Soft Updates (SU),
your FS will, in theory, never be corrupted with SU only
=2E=20
The main advantage of SU+J over SU is to avoid a fsck at boot if the FS=20
is not clean. Note that SU+J almost never worked for me and disabling
SU+J (tunefs -j disable) is the first thing I do after an installation.