Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:30:10 +0500
From:      "Sergey N. Voronkov" <serg@tmn.ru>
To:        Dmitry Agafonov <aga@rsm.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: two questions on syslog

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 12:09:40PM +0300, Dmitry Agafonov wrote:
> Good day!
>
> Can anybody help me to find a solution for these:
> - logging to single host from others on LAN (all I
>   found are solutions for Linux and does not work on FreeBSD)

# man syslogd

Exactly, you need somthing like that:

1) On logging server
	a) Modify /etc/rc.conf:
	syslogd_flags="-a 192.168.0.0/16:*"
	b) Restart syslogd
2) On other hosts
	a) Modify /etc/syslog.conf:
	*.notice;kern.debug;...	@your.logging.server.org
	b) Send HUP to syslogd

> - a tool to analyze system logs mail/messages/auth, etc.
>   to generate something more human friendly than daily
>   security and other scripts.
>
> Link to some tutorial will be enough.

# cd /usr/ports; make search name=syslog
# make search name=mail | grep log
# grep -i log sysutils/*/pkg-descr security/*/pkg-descr

And choose one you need.

;-))

Best Wishes,

Serg N. Voronkov,