Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 1997 15:25:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NCR SCSI will not boot

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Glenn Johnson wrote:

> I can not boot my NCR SCSI equipped computer. I tried 3.0 snapshots of
> 8-7-97 and 8-15-97. In each case I get to the following point upon bootup:
>
> ncr0: <ncr 53c825a fast10 wide scsi> rev 0x11 int a irq 11 on pci0.14.0
> ncr0: minsync=25, maxsync=206, maxoffs=8, 128 dwords burst, large dma fifo
>
> It then hangs at this point. I then tried a 2.2.2 release floppy and it
> booted fine. So it is just a problem on -current, which I need for
> SMP. Here is some hardware info:
>
>   Motherboard: Tyan Titan Pro AT, dual 200-MHz PPro processors installed.
>   SCSI board: ? S1365
>   Hard disk: Quantum XP34300W; Rev - L912
>   CD-ROM: Toshiba CD-ROM XM-3701TA; Rev - 0236
>
> Is there an option that can be added to the kernel config to work around
> this? Thanks.

I had the same experience, and worked with Stefan to figure it out.  He
told me to take the flags in ncr.c line 3329 (the ones defined for the
825A) and remove them one by one to see what the trouble was.  Many
builds and reboots later, I told him it was the FE_RAM flag.  He said that
was highly unlikely, and to see if I could swap out the 825a for another
one.

I did, and he was right, swapping it out fixed it.  I think I may be close
to you ... if we can work it out so I'm out of service a real minimum
amount of time, I'd swap with you.... see, I'm doing some very heavy
development, and wouldn't think of it if we weren't in driving distance.

You see my address/phone below.  Let me know if you want to do this.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |