Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 23:00:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      William Woods <wwoods@cybcon.com>
To:        dmb <nellie@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, kevink@mindless.com
Subject:   Re: main platform?

Hmmm...great question. I use FreeBSD 3.0 as my main (read ONLY) OS. I do all my
work on it, Word processing with Word Perfect 7, Database work with StarOffice
and Web Work with Netscape. Also, My home system is my work system. I monitor 3
www servers (email, news and http) along with maintaining a DNS and backup DNS
server. All from my workstation from home.

All this is done with FreeBSD 3.0-current, and KDE as my window manager. The
Window manager has 8 virtual terminals,set up like this;

1 - Desk (monitors for the remote servers . cpu, top, etc....)
2 - Email, running xfmail, monitoring 5 email accounts, and 8 mailing lists
3 - Netscape #1
4 - Netscape #2
5 - A Xterm
6 - 2nd Xterm
7 - Tail -f /var/log/messages of all systems
8 - Top for this system.

And useally have 1 VT used for IRC (running BitchX)

Along with the rancdom compiling of things in other VT's, I also do client
database lookups over the net in Desktop #4 (Netscape #2) on Stronghold with a
mysql database.

Do we have any MS products - Nope.

Also, I play the random game of chess, backgammon and such. I also have ICQ
(Java Version) and AIM (Java version) running JDK 1.1.6.

Now granted this is a LOT to be doing, I do this on a P200 w/128meg RAM and a
256 meg swap file.

Hope I dident go overboard on an answer to this......I explored doing basically
the same thing in Several OS's before I setteled on FreeBSD. I tried Win95, Win
NT OS/4 Warp4, and Linux. While Linux gave the best results of the listed OS's,
the lack of standards for linux quickly pushed me away, alas, I have found
FreeBSD and it suits my needs perfectly....to sume it up, I will tell a little
story...

My friend asked me if, since I have been useing FreeBSD development version
(3.0) , it has crashed on me.....my responce was, "I forgot what a crash
is....., you use Windows....remind me....." Me and him laughed, but I was
serious...

Well, like I said, hope I dident go overboard on an answer to a simple
question....

William Woods <wwoods@cybcon.com>