Date:      Sun, 08 Jun 1997 02:30:51 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Use of your strptime(3) code (fwd)

>>> Because in 2.0b6, the author removed the requirement for a system
>>> strptime(3) call.  Still, this situtation may come up again, so I offered
>>> it as something to add to libc/libcompat.
>>
>> Again, with the existing copyright, it's simply unacceptable.  I'm
>> saying this for at least the third time now, but didn't get any
>> response so far.
>
> Also, I don't think we need it.  None of the hundreds of other ports
> need it, and as it seems neither does msql.

By the same token, we don't "need" anything in libc which isn't a
system call, right? I mean, why not have apps do it all themselves?
:-)

Ok, perhaps this is a little too sarcastic, but there have been two
instances in the last couple of months where I could have used a
strptime(). pw(8), for example, could make use of it. It currently
doesn't "need" strptime() because it uses a different longhand method,
but if it was available in libc, it would *certainly* use it. Same
probably goes for anything that needs to parse a date/time. It is
a common enough need to put it into libc, imho. Other UNIX vendors
including NetBSD obviously think so too.

Regards,
David