Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2007 14:34:29 -0500
From:      Chris <racerx@makeworld.com>
To:        doug@fledge.watson.org
Cc:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>, Claude Menski <claude.menski@gmail.com>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: I like Ubuntu

doug@safeport.com wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Apr 2007, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:
>=20
>> doug@safeport.com writes:
>>> First my experience with [Free]BSD as a server completely mirrors
>>> Dag-Erling's observation, it [mostly] just works. I started with BSDI=

>>> switching to FreeBSD around 3.5. I think it is also true that
>>> depending on your hardware a FreeBSD workstation or laptop can be a
>>> bit of a challenge.
>>
>> My issues with FreeBSD as a desktop mostly come from the difficulty of=

>> installing software and keeping it up-to-date: 'pkg_add -r' and
>> 'portupgrade -aP' simply can't hold a candle to 'apt-get install' and
>> 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.
>>

> Because of my background, the things that were/are wrong with packages
> and ports led me to learn much more about FreeBSD. I chose to answer
> your email not because of any disagreement with what you said, but to
> offer up the idea that at least in selected instances there might be
> something to learn from doing this.
>=20
> In my case this included leaning to think in 'Unix', and reaching an
> understanding with (rather than of) regular expressions, sed, and awk.
>=20
> My workstation/laptop hardware does not really allow the option of
> building things like KDE and OpenOffice, so I upgrade basically by
> starting over with packages. I usually can do this in an hour or so.
> When I first started, I found the differences between BSDI, FreeBSD, an=
> Linux confusing. Now mostly its more of an irritant than having to use
> my son's mac to watch ESPN videos.

To me, this is where Ubuntu (I can't speak for other Linux distros) is
the clear winner over FreeBSD on the desktop. Ubuntu is near
out-of-the-box when it comes to media (audio/video/etc) of any sort.

Sure, there are a few  steps to get it all to gel - but once you enter a
few lines (or if you prefer point-n-click) - you never have to worry
about media working again (trust me, I used to keep a Windows box just
to do the things I mentioned).

Again - I'm talking about a desktop use. I have used Ubuntu server (both
i386 and sparc) and FreeBSD is still my fav. however, Ubuntu (for
installing LAMP) is nearly even w/FreeBSD.

To me, apt-get is certainly cleaner and superior to
portupgrade/portmanager. Perhaps someday either or will be as reliable
as apt-get.

Just my opinions of course.

--=20
Best regards,
Chris

If not completely satisfied, return for full refund of purchase price.