Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 05:19:00 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        dima@tejblum.dnttm.rssi.ru, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yet Another bug in src/Makefile

> > 'make -DCLOBBER world' will not remove /usr/include. It will remove
> > /usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/include instead...
>
> why should it remove /usr/include??  /usr/include is not used for the
> building of the resulting binaries install.. why not do a rm -rf /
> if you want to clean out the area your installing to... :)

This is false.  The build for libkvm references outside the source tree
(specifically, an absolute reference via -I).  This was why I hacked
the symbolic links for multiple kernel tree builds (earlier posting).

There are other builds which also reference out of the build tree;
anything which references <sys/*> or <machine/*>, in particular,
references /usr/include.  A reference to <machine/*> can't be
resolved without /usr/include/ since it refers to the postinstalled
headers from /usr/src/sys/i386/include/ into /usr/include/machine/.
The <net*/*>, <arpa/*>, <*fs/*>, <rpc*/*>, and <vm/*> references are
all in this boat, as well as others from package/base installation
(<tcl/*>, etc.), if installed.

> of course there is good argument that the installed to area should
> be clean to prevent old files from contaminating a setup...  but
> if we start to clean out /usr/include, we should also do /{bin,sbin}
> /usr/{bin,share,sbin,lib,libexec} and any others that get installed...

The argument is that the installed area should never be used for
system build, since you may be building a cross-environment.

You either need to build the machine link as part of the build, or you
need variant symlinks (whole other kettle of fish) to deal with the
architecture variant headers for cross-builds.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.