Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 2014 19:04:49 -0600
From:      Tim Skinner <tskinner@deepwebtech.com>
To:        pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cant install ports-mgmt/pkg

Hello,

I've run into a problem trying to install ports-mgmt/pkg.  When trying to
run make or portmaster I get the following error:

You are about to convert your system to pkg while you have ports/packages
installed with the old pkg_install tools.

To switch to pkg:
    1) Install ports-mgmt/pkg
    2) Convert your package database by running pkg2ng

*** [pre-everything] Error code 1

So it is telling me I cant install pkg without first installing pkg, it
would be funny if it wasn't totally blocking my work :)  I have two
machines in this state that I must have forgotten to update to pkg.

I have tried putting WITHOUT_PKGNG=yes in /etc/make.conf but that trick
apparently does not work anymore.

This system is:   FreeBSD proxy2 9.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE #2
r269738: Sun Aug 10 12:01:22 MDT 2014

Do you know of a work around to get pkg installed?  Do I need to downgrade
to an earlier kernel?

Thanks,
-Tim Skinner