Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:08:39 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        George Hartzell <hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting root...

--B4AXAQCuM90RQzKo

On Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 02:38:35PM -0700, George Hartzell wrote:
+> George Hartzell writes:
+>  > [...]
+>  > Suggestions?
+>=20
+> Sorry to follow up my own posting, but I have something that works.
+>=20
+> Two changes to /etc/rc.d/swap1
+>=20
+>   change stop_cmd from ':' to 'swap1_stop'
+>=20
+>   and change the line in swap1_stop from
+>=20
+>       swapctl -U -t blk
+>=20
+>=20
+>       swapoff -a
+>=20
+> And 1 behavioural change.  I reflexively use reboot to reboot the
+> machine, and hadn't ever made the connection that it doesn't run any
+> shutdown scripts.  W/ the changes above, and using 'shutdown -r now'
+> to reboot the machine, it comes up w/out synching the mirror.
+>=20
+> COOL!
+>=20
+> To be consistent, one should probably also change the start_cmd to
+> swap1_start, and fix that function to use swapon -a since its usage of
+> swapctl is also broken.  Then, no_swap and swapoff need to be
+> defaulted in /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
+>=20
+> Or, one could delete the swap1_{start,stop} functions, and just make
+> start_cmd be 'swapon -a' and stop_cmd be 'swapoff -a'.
+>=20
+> I don't know which is more better, clearly there's some history here
+> that's unfinished, or a cross-BSD compatibility thing, or???
+>=20
+> Pawel, should I file some kind of bug here, or should you do
+> something, or???

I already changed rc.d/swap1 locally, but before commiting it I want to
fix rc.d/addswap as well.

Speaking of rc.d/swap1. There is unused code from NetBSD and we don't
care about compatibility with their rcNG anymore, so it could be just
removed.

--=20
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.FreeBSD.org
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://garage.freebsd.pl