Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 2002 08:41:44 -0600
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        "R. Zoontjens" <richard@radecom.nl>, "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: restore question

At 10:10 AM 11.15.2002 +0100, R. Zoontjens wrote:

>Jack L. Stone wrote:
>
>> There IS a program similar to Ghost with respect to making an image. It's
>> called "dd" and it's already installed on your FBSD system. Run "man 1 dd"
>> for options.
>>
>> Bear in mind that if you want an image of your whole disk, you'll need the
>> 2nd one to be at least equal in size, but you will lose any part
>> of the 2nd
>> HD that is larger than HD #1 (I think Ghost does that too -- or used to).
>> dd can be limited to imaging only a slice however.....
>

>Ghost can be used:
>http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=nl&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=8t41s5%24nhh%241%40n
>yheter.crt.se
>Ghost will tread UFS/FFS as "an array of blocks", The only problem is that
>ghost will copy everything: freespace files, superblocks. Zerofilling the
>filesystems might be a solution (never tried, but see link)
>
>"dd can copy a single file, a part of a file, a raw partition or a part of a
>raw partition, and can even copy data from stdin to stdout while modifying
>it en route" (Unix backup & Recovery -- by Curtis Preston p.72)
>
>But how could I make an image from my system, and then write it to a
>(smaller) tape with dd? compressing it? Could I use zero-filling here as
>well?

Will the HD be bootable using Ghost.....??? I prefer dd for imaging because
it is part of the base FBSD system and thus I trust it more. However,
although I have used dd many times, I prefer dump/restore for
backup/restore of a FS..... I move HDs from machine to machine often this
way.... and boots right up.

Dunno about Ghost....

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,