Date:      Sat, 4 Jul 1998 01:59:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Richard Meyers <watsondog@worldnet.att.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel rebuild

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Richard Meyers wrote:

> I have just successfully installed FreeBSD v2.2.2 on my PC.  I added the
> PS2 mouse device and rebuilt the kernel as required (still having mouse
> probs but that's a story for another day).  During the kernel rebuild I
> received the following warning when it was including the
> ./../i386/isa/seagate.c source code:
>
> 	1181:  warning:  assignment discards 'volatile' from pointer target type.
>
> The kernel rebuild did not stop.  I rebooted afterwards and it appears to
> work fine.

Then I wouldn't be worried.  There are tons of warnings in the kernel, and
as long as it bulds and works right they're nothign to be worried about.
In fact there are several in the lpt driver in 2.2.6 that don't cause any
problems at all.

> P.S.  Wishing that worldnet would support FreeBSD.  They wouldn't even give
> me their gateway IP over the phone.  Gates will pay for this!  RM

The gateway IP is probably set dynamically anyway.  If you're using user
mode ppp then just give the command `add 0 0 HISADDR' to program it.