Date:      Mon, 06 Dec 1999 10:09:09 +0800
From:      "aLan Tait" <aLan@fil.net>
To:        Warren Welch <wwlists@intraceptives.com.au>
Cc:        Glen Foster <gfoster@gfoster.com>, danh@wzrd.com, "freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IPFilter and xntpd

Hi Warren!

Can you (or anybody on the ISP list) help me with this...

I posted the below questions about IPFilter and xntpd
following your suggestion to use the RFC-1918 addresses
BETWEEN the outside addresses and the inside addresses (ALL
of which are globally routable).  I only have two RFC-1918
addresses, one at each end of the router - gateway crossover
cable.  The problem is, I can't get gateway to xntpd to a
public server on the other side of the router (I think
because it uses a RFC-1918 address on the outgoing link -
per your wonderful suggestion).

Is there a way to let gateway be my network time server, or
do I have to setup a different time server on the inside and
point gateway back into it?  Jaz, on the inside network, has
no problem getting the time from tick.usno.navy.mil (all the
way to the USA and back!).  I just can't get gateway to get
the tick.

The answers I've received so far have assumed my "inside"
network was using RFC-1918 addresses - which it is not.
Everything is global addresses except the gateway - router
link.

Maybe IPNAT would work, but I cannot think how to map the
routable "inside" address of the gateway to be the return IP
for packets sent via the non routable "outside" address of
gateway.

I know this looks "backward" to most people - it did to me
until I tried it.  It works great - except for the xntpd
tick problem.  Do you run a system clock in your gateway?

Hope someone can tell me the work around (if there is one!).

Blessings,

aLan