Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 2003 11:18:34 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 5.0 Early adopters question: best way to get rid of old binaries/lib/headers

On 2003-03-21 08:21, Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org> wrote:
> I've started upgrading some of my 4.x boxen to 5.0-current.
> The upgrade went smooth and the systems are up and running.
>
> However, the early adopters guide mentiones some components
> which are no longer in the base system (perl, uucp) and obsolete
> headers, etc.
>
> Now I want to get rid of everything which was not installed by the
> upgrade (that was a make world-like upgrade).
>
> I've considered s.th. like this:
>
> find /usr/lib /usr/lib /usr/include /usr/share /usr/libdata \
> /usr/libexec /usr/sbin -xdev -mtime +<days since the upgrade +1> > todelete
>
> and then delete the stuff therein after inspection.
>
> Would that be a reasonable safe way to go?
> Any pitfals? Other suggestions?

IMHO, the best way to clean up after source upgrades, if you can
temporarily spare a bit of disk space, is to install a new, clean
userland in a temporary directory and compare it with root.

	# mkdir /tmp/testworld
	# cd /usr/src
	# make DESTDIR=/tmp/testworld installworld

then you can compare a listing of /tmp/testworld with the existing
files, and delete what seems like old and stale :)

- Giorgos