Date:      Tue, 21 Feb 1995 15:07:04 -0500
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@haven.uniserve.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   "route" crashes kernel...

<<On Mon, 20 Feb 1995 22:18:57 -0800 (PST), Tom Samplonius <tom@haven.uniserve.com> said:

>   I'm using the 950210 snapshot, and I've found that doing:

>   route add 198.53.215.253 -link sl0

> consistently causes a "Page fault while in kernel mode" error.

There are a number of bugs in the routing code which cause panics when
a gateway is not supplied for a route.  The supported way to express
what you have written here is:

	route add -inet 198.53.215.253 ip-address-of-sl0

`-link sl0' doesn't make much sense as a destination.  Perhaps you
meant to say:

	route add -inet 198.53.215.253 -interface ip-address-of-sl0

which would mean that the other end of sl0 has an alias address.

In any case, you are correct that this is a bug; the kernel should not
panic even upon erroneous routing commands.

-GAWollman