Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2012 12:30:11 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Rod Person <rodperson@rodperson.com>
Subject:   Re: Convert mp3 to audio CD

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 07:25:11 -0400, Rod Person wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 12:16:24 +0100
> Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 07:07:40 -0400, Rod Person wrote:

> > > Basically the same as other, but just using lame to convert a
> > > directory full of mp3s
> > >

> > > #!/bin/sh
> > >
> > > for a in *
> > > do
> > >   OUTF=`echo "$a" | sed s/\.mp3/.wav/g`
> > >   lame --decode -q 0 "$a" "$OUTF"
> > > done
> >
> > Just note that those *.wav files will have to be in the
> > correct format (44.1 kHz two-channel 16 bit) and maybe
> > require "byte order reversal" as well as stripping the
> > WAV headers to record them as a music CD. It seems that
> > some recording programs already contain this step. Refer
> > to audio CD specifications for why pure WAV files don't
> > make an audio CD.
> >

> I've used this for years and never had an issues, but to accomplish
> removing the header you would use the -t option along with --decode for
> lame and -x does a bit swap, but not sure if that is the same byte order
> reversal.

Yes, I think that's the correct approach. My old script,
written when I was new to FreeBSD (at v4.0), uses the
unelegant "sox -r 44100 -c 2 -w -s $FILE.raw $FILE.cdr"
to convert to the proper CD audio format which could
also be used by burncd (deprecated?), but also by cdrdao
and cdrecord with no additional conversion parameters.

Thanks for the hint about lame --decode!

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany