Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 2014 23:50:39 +0200
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CURRENT: EFI boot failure

--Sig_/X9hPCQNXUh6s/rALlwF+bTY

Am Tue, 16 Sep 2014 00:09:01 -0700
Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org> schrieb:

>=20
> On 09/15/14 22:51, O. Hartmann wrote:
> > Am Mon, 15 Sep 2014 17:39:26 -0700
> > Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org> schrieb:

> >> boot1.efi is designed never to need updating. (It also hasn't changed
> >> since April)
> >> -Nathan
> >
> > But it has changed bytesize when I recompiled world with recent sources=
 compared to
> > the boot.efi size from the USB image I installed from (revision see abo=
ve).
>=20
> Probably compiler updates or something? I really wouldn't worry about it=
=20
> too much. I'd worry more about loader, since we know boot1 could use the=
=20
> console but loader doesn't show up.
>=20
> > How to update bootcode on UEFI layout? I created a GPT partition with t=
ype efi (1 GB)
> > as well as a 512KB partition typed freebsd-boot.
>=20
> How did you set it up in the first place? If you have a FreeBSD-only=20
> system partition (like the installer sets up), you just dd=20
> /boot/boot1.efifat to the EFI partition. Otherwise, it's FAT and you=20
> copy /boot/boot1.efi to somewhere your boot manager can find it.
>=20
> > I'm new to EFI and the way the notebook now behaves is really strange. =
While the USB
> > drive image used to boot with new console enabled, it now boots again w=
ith the old
> > console and 800x640 resolution. This might indicate some minor but very=
 effective
> > mistake I made.
> >
>=20
> The EFI boot block finds the first UFS partition -- on any disk -- and=20
> tries to boot from it. If you have multiple FreeBSD disks connected,=20
> that will very likely result in madness.
> -Nathan

After I managed to install the OS and updated to the most recent world, it =
took two days
to have all the installations prepared. Now I'm about the configure X11 and=
 run into
another very annoying situation.

The Laptop is a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E540 equipted with the following CPU/i=
GPU and
dedicated GPU:

CPU Intel i5-4200M (Haswell) at 2.5 GHz with iGPU Intel HD Graphics 4600

GPU: nVidia GT 740M mobile GPU.

EFI Version 2.31
EFI Firmware: Lenovo (rev. 05648)

In the Firmware/EFI/BIOS the primary GPU is selected to be the nVidia GT 74=
0M. Boot is
EFI only, no CSM support. With CSM support enabled a VGA screen with 640x40=
0 pixel shows
up. Non UEFI options doesn't boot this system at all!

Any attempt to bring up the nVidia GPU (starting X for testing) ends up in =
a blank
screen, stuck mousepointer, no keyboard. I even can not switch to another c=
onsole!
When X server started the first time on tty9, I can switch to another conso=
le. But the
moment I switch back to ttyv9 everything is frozen and as described above.

When the system boots, I do not see a loader! Where is the loader I'm used =
to see when I
have the chance to switch to single user mode, console or switch off ACPI?

Because I need X11 up (and it should be running on the nVidia GPU for perfo=
rmance
reasons), I tried to get back to the legacy "sc" console in textmode since =
I read about
several issues and immature vt() system, so I put those lines in the /boot/=
loader.conf:

hw.vga.textmode=3D1
hw.vty=3Dsc

(tried also hw.vty=3Dvt).

But with either of those lines in the loader thing get more annoying and na=
sty: The
system doesn't show even a console, it is stuck with this sparse EFI boot m=
essage, last
lines are

dimensions xxxx x yyyy
stride xxxx
masks 0xfffffff [...]

and the rest of the screen is blank. System remains unusable, the HDD is wo=
rking and
obviously booting the system but incapable of presenting a screen. When boo=
ting the USB
drive image, this initial EFI message gets overwritten (no screen blanking,=
 the kernel
messages starts writing over this message like in the first days of compute=
rs ...). In
the case described above that doesn't happen at all.

After I deleted.commented out the lines=20

hw.vga.textmode=3D1
hw.vty=3Dsc

in loader.conf the system is booting again - and clears the initial EFI mes=
sages before
dumping the screen with kernel messages, as expected.

Well, at the end, it seems I sit in front of two days useless labor, new ha=
rdware, UEFI
and no X11.