Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2012 13:51:47 -0700
From:      Derek Kulinski <takeda@takeda.tk>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problem reading vitals from Gigabyte H77-DH3H

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 11:38:57PM +0300, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> I've found that on quite a few modern systems the ACPI platform advertises some
> useless thermal zones, which always return some hardcoded temperatures.
> E.g. I have Asus P8Z77-M PRO near me and it also reports two thermal zones.
> Looking at DSDT (acpidump -dt) I see that the temperatures are hardcoded.
>
> It seems that your motherboard has an ITE Super I/O with hardware monitoring
> function.  I am not sure which model though...
> Your best bet would be it(4) driver, but it is not committed yet.
> If you are into some mild hacking (applying patches, building custom kernel),
> then I can point you to the patches.
> Although I can not give a firm guarantee that the driver supports your HWM chip,
> since I don't know the model.

I'm open to experimenting. It's kind of important to me, because I recently had heating issue (that I hopefully fixed) and I wasn't aware of problems until my system started freezing. I was fooled by those values thinking everything was ok.

> [...]
>
> These tools from ports are very outdated and thus do not support new hardware.

I never used them before since on my old box hw.acpi.thermal worked fine.
Is there anything in ports that you would recommend?

Thanks,
Derek