Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2012 11:42:03 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Request for Review: pkgng documentation for the Handbook

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012, Glen Barber wrote:

>> "Getting Started with pkgng"
>> Markup on bootstrap should be <quote> tags.
>>

> Hmm.  I didn't think <quote> tags actually worked.

They didn't for a while.  I'm not sure about now, but thought that was
fixed.

>> "Existing FreeBSD installations require conversion of the pkg_install
>> package database"
>> pkg_install should be a man page ref.
>
> There actually is no pkg_install manual page.

Doh.  My thinking is that having the link would help the reader see what
the old package tools did to compare with the new.  It also would look
different from the rendering of <command>.  In other words, show the
commands the reader will use with <command>, and the old pkg_ commands
as man page refs.

>> "Configuring the pkgng Environment" is kind of confusing, and could be
>> simplified.  Is it necessary to mention the environment variable at all?
>>
>>    The pkgng package management system uses a package repository for most
>>    operations.  The default package repository location is
>>    defined in /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf or the PACKAGESITE environment
>>    variable which overrides the configuration file.
>>

> Looks good to me.  Thanks.

It would be better without the environment variable, just end the
sentence before "or".