Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 1996 11:35:07 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   chrooting /sbin/init - has anybody tried it?

I have a chroot environment set up on my production system, so that
I can do make worlds of -current, without touching my installed
system.  (Thanks, Nate!)  I've been toying with the idea of taking
this one step further.  I'd like to use chroot to enable me to boot
up and run the -current kernel at times, for testing, without
creating a separate slice for its root filesystem.

My chroot tree is in "/home/current".  What I have in mind is the
following:

    * Modify the -current kernel slighly, so that it looks for the
      "init" program in "/home/current/sbin/init".

    * Build the modified kernel, and put a copy of it in "/kernel.current".

    * Modify the -current "init" program so that, at startup, it does a
      chroot to "/home/current".

If I did that, I think I could then boot up "/kernel.current", and
everything after that would run chrooted, in my "/home/current" tree.
It should behave almost like an actual installed -current system.

Have any of you tried this before?  Does it work?  Are there any
pitfalls I should look out for?

Thanks.