Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 06:09:15 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: filesystem safety and SCSI disk write caching

Terry Lambert writes:
> > > If that's the reason for the problem that I saw, then the UPS the
> > > system was plugged into wasn't sufficient to prevent the problem.
> >
> > Before you fight it too much more, replace the power supply. I've cured
> > a number of "impossible" problems with a new power supply.
>
> Uh, you won't cure "Don punching the reset button to simulate a
> particular set of hardware failures" with a new supply.
>
> 8-).

Why not? It might be interesting to put a recording voltmeter such as a
digital storage oscilloscope on the HD power leads when Don is punching
the reset. No telling what kind of voltage surges are generated when
the load on the power supply is altered.

No telling *if* there are changes in the PS load when reset is punched
either. Think my PPro-166 CPU pulls 10A. If it suddenly stops pulling
that much current when RESET is active then what does the PS do?