Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 20:23:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ben Eisenbraun <bpeisenbraun@yahoo.com>
To:        Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
Cc:        John Turner <john@drexeltech.com>, ListServer FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Cable modem ISP keeps timing out

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Doug Poland wrote:
> Well, my connection dropped out about 15 minutes after
> the RoadRunner tech when home for the weekend.
>
> I tried doing an #ifconfig ed0 down but it gave me
> this message...
>
> 	natd[2523]: failed to write packet back (Network is down)

You've probably already checked this, but is it possible that your
firewall is rejecting the DHCP clients attempt to renew your lease?

IIRC, dhclient runs before IPFW and IPDIVERT start up, which might be why
a reboot clears the problem?  Unfortunately, I'm not in front of my
firewall machine to check that.

Just a thought.

-ben