Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 03:23:17 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        scott@statsci.com, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to handle compiled in paths?

> What he is asking is how to make ports not compile in the compile-time
> PREFIX into the binaries so the users can "pkg_add -p /wherever" to

Erm, but that's an entirely port-dependent question, e.g. some
utilities will elect to compile constants into themselves while others
may elect to consult configuration files for this or figure out where
the binary is being called from [ala xemacs] and derive a path from
that, etc and so on.  There is no sense in even trying to answer that
question generally which is why I attempted to answer a different one,
which was "what to do when faced with bad citizens?" ;-)

					Jordan