Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 10:58:56 +0100
From:      Keith Jones <keith@blueberry.co.uk>
To:        Brian Tiemann <btman@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booteasy

On Fri, Jun 26, 1998 at 03:22:54PM -0700, Brian Tiemann wrote:

> 	Okay... this post finds me a bit further along in the
> problem-solving process than my previous one. Let me revise the second of
> my questions:
>
> 	It turns out I've installed Booteasy, and I had no need to. How
> can I get rid of it *without* harming any of my installation? Would
> fdisk /mbr do it? I just want the standard "boot:" prompt that boots my
> FreeBSD kernel by default. Is this possible, or am I up a certain creek?
> :)

If you still have a FreeBSD boot floppy (or CDROM), you can boot
from that, and use /stand/sysinstall and fdisk (the disk Partition
Editor in the post-install configuration menu) to reinstall the MBR.
When in fdisk, select the device on which you are to install the MBR,
hit 'W' (write changes) without editing the partition information
(this will not hose your disk, honest!) and select 'Install a standard
MBR (no boot manager)' on the following screen, then OK.

If you don't have a boot floppy you can download the image from
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.6-RELEASE/floppies/boot.flp
(in binary mode!) and use FDIMAGE or 'dd' to write the image to a
floppy disk.

Keith
--
v Keith Jones                 Systems Manager, Blueberry New Media Ltd. v
| Postal Mail: 2/10 Harbour Yard, Chelsea Harbour, LONDON, UK. SW10 0XD |