Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 20:34:42 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015295682.09a72a@mired.org>
To:        swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount(8) ignores device name

Gary W. Swearingen <swear@blarg.net> types:
> I've observed a behavior of mount(8) which seems wrong and am wondering
> what other's think of it; specifically whether it deserves a PR.
>
> $ tail -1 /etc/fstab
> asdf            /compat/linux/proc   linprocfs rw,noauto     0       0
> $ mount asdf
> $ cat /compat/linux/proc/version
> FreeBSD 4.5-PRERELEASE #0: Wed Dec 26 18:41:29 PST 2001
> $ umount asdf
> umount: asdf: not currently mounted
> $ mount
> /dev/ad0s4a on / (ufs, local)
> procfs on /proc (procfs, local)
> linprocfs on /usr/compat/linux/proc (linprocfs, local)
>

> See how it ignores the device name from /etc/fstab and makes up it's own
> name so that you can't unmount it with the name it was mounted with
> unless you name it "linprocfs", which isn't the name suggested in
> linprocfs(5)?
>
> If this doesn't need fixing, I think I'll at least suggest a new note in
> the mount(8) and linproc(5) man pages.

read the mount_std file page. linprocfs, procfs, and several others
don't ever see the "device" field in fstab. Mounting by that name
works because of the way mount searches fstab.

Fixing it may not be possible. Documenting it would be nice. However,
do it on -current, and possibly consult that mail list as well. /dev
is now the mount point for devfs by default, and many of the pseudo
devices are different.

	<mike