Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 21:02:07 -0500
From:      Derrick Norris <derrick@norris-net.com>
To:        "Praveen Polishetty" <poli_praveen@yahoo.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: WMFS

On Wednesday 13 February 2002 02:27 pm, Praveen Polishetty wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to build My own kernel for Elephant File system.I
> included two more options in my kernel file in addition to the
> options given in GENERIC file.
>
> options  NULLFS   #NULL filesystem
> options  WMFS   #ELEPHANT filesystem.
>
> when i try to build the kernel it is giving me an error saying
> unknown option WMFS . I would appreciate if you can tell me what
> the problem is.

A quick google search sent me to the freebsd projects page
http://www.freebsd.org/projects, which links to Elephant under the
"File system" section.  That will send you to
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~feeley/DSG%20Web/dsg_p_elephant.html, which
states that the elephant system is implemented as a virtual file
system and is "available upon request."

Have you contacted the people referenced on that page to see if you
can get whatever you need to implement WMFS?

One thing I noticed when I did the search is that I couldn't find
much on elephant that mentioned anything later than FreeBSD 2.2.7, so
the project may be pretty stale.

You might want to also take a look at
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/cgi-bin/tr/2001/TR-2001-07.pdf, about the
mammoth file system which seems to be something fairly parallel to
elephant, but may be available in a later version of FreeBSD.

In any case, it looks like www.cs.ubc.ca is the place you need to
start...

Derrick