Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:10:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      custom <jcwells@nwlink.com>
To:        Joe Warner <jswarner@uswest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk Space

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, Joe Warner wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  Can someone tell me what I can do to free up some disk space on my
> FreeBSD box?

There be dragons here!

> I'd like to stream-line my system and get rid of files
> that I don't need that are taking up necessary disk space but I don't
> know where to look or start.

Look at PicoBSD. That should give you the extreme example.

> As an example, I know that kernels can take up a lot space.  When I
> compiled my kernel, I named it JWKERNEL but at / I've noticed that there
> are 3 separate kernels: KERNEL, KERNEL-GENERIC and KERNEL-OLD.  I know I
> shouldn't delete KERNEL-OLD, since this is needed for possible system
> recovery.  Can I delete KERNEL-GENERIC?  What other files can I get rid
> of?  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks.

If you are satisfied with your current kernel you can delete all of the
kernels except the current one. kernel.old will be made if you recompile.

There are hundreds of files that I could list here.  There are varying
levels of pain you will endure if you embark on this mission. You
basically should look at everything, find out what it is, then decide if
you need it.

To start, look in /etc/defaults/rc.conf. There is bunches of stuff in
there that you will never use. Find out where it lives and kill it.

There is the obvious clearing of any tmp directories.

I'll make a prophecy. You are going to break your system.  I'll answer
your next question right now, if your system your won't start its best
just to grab you boot floppy and reinstall. :)

Later,
Jason C. Wells