Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 97 14:02:05 +0200
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        webmaster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Technobabble homepage (Was: Ick!)

Garrett Wollman writes:
> It used to be possible to actually find something useful at
> www.freebsd.org.  Now all I get is this marketroid nonsense.  It's not
> at all obvious how to get to some basic resource like cvsweb....

I think the positive feedback and opinions like Garrett's show a
fundamental difference in what people expect from a Web site.

There are two approaches:

- Using the homepage text for "market" information, using highlighted
  text as eye-catchers and the normal text within to explain the
  eye-catches somehwat and link to more information about the topic. And
  moving "hard" information to a toolbar of
  some sort. This is what Megan's Design is about and it is what most
  market-oriented companies do (just saw Javasoft has exactly the same
  approach, all useful information behind a pixmap toolbar).
  Let me call this a "market-oriented" approach, no pun intended.

- Using the text of the home page so that a huge number of "hard"
  resources (= needed for experienced people, but somewhat
  "technobally" for new people) is directly accessable, using
  highlighted text to lead faster to the right link. The old homepage
  and Stefan's proposal
  (http://www.promo.de/people/stefan/freebsd/home1/) are of that
  sort. Let me call the a "technobabble" approach, no pun intended.

I think FreeBSD is in a position where it in fact is market-oriented
and profits from Megan's design. The huge number of positive feedback
mails show that it is a success and reaches people who are at least
willing to stay around as long as it takes to send a mail. It is
obviously not the case that this design attracks only random surfers.

I'd like to propose that we create an alternate homepage in
addition. The new page should look like and could be treated like a
sitemap and meet these requirements:

- Strongly using text to lead to specific resources. No text wasted
  for marketing, for things people need to be told only once.

- Listing a huge number of interesting items on this pages. Let the
  page grow as it needs, it should be no criteria that it fits without
  scrolling. Even links into the handbook could be useful, using the
  Web server logfile to tell what is most interesting.

- It should show that we do it all for fun, that speaking technobabble
  can be fun, that many developer's primary goal is to make things
  works, just for watching it doing some work. It it's part of the
  official homepage, we could detract people not used to fun. But I
  think it is also very important that FreeBSD doesn't look like it
  derived from hackerdom too much, so we could create the "Hacker's
  Homepage".

If we get a huge link "map of technical resources" and "Hacker's
Homepage" (both pointing to the same thing :-), I think this approach
could make a lot of people happy. If you agree, I will approach Stefan
and we'll (or I) will come up with a first version.

As a side note, I am not sure things were treated right when Stefan
and Megan proposed new homepages. As I recall, both asked for
comments, but megan went on and committed, while Stefan still
waited. We have to make sure the Web site will not be changed on a
fastest-commiter basis :-) I don't know any behind-the-scenes
arrangements, so excuse me if this comment isn't in line.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>