Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 2002 22:56:18 +0200
From:      Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>
To:        Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mount /dev/acd0c: Device not configured

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 10:42:14AM -0400, Chris Shenton wrote:
> I have in my /etc/fstab:
>
> /dev/acd0c		/cdrom		cd9660	ro,noauto	0	0
>
> and used to mount by saying "mount /cdrom".  Now it complains:
>
>   thanatos# mount /cdrom
>   cd9660: /dev/acd0c: Device not configured

Hi,

The config looks fine, but I think the CD doesn't have an ISO filesystem on
it. The cd9660 drives looks for some 'magic' on the disk to see if it's in
a readable format, if not then the device is not configured.

> What exactly is this error message trying to tell me? The device is in /dev:
>
>   crw-r-----  2 root  operator  117,   0 Apr 24 10:29 acd0a
>   crw-r-----  2 root  operator  117,   2 Apr 24 10:29 acd0c
>   crw-r-----  2 root  operator  117,   0 Apr 24 10:29 racd0a
>   crw-r-----  2 root  operator  117,   2 Apr 24 10:29 racd0c
>
> I found accidentally that I *could* mount the "a" partition:
>
>   thanatos# mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0a /cdrom

Some sort of multisession?
For sure the layout of the CD isn't according to 'normal' specifications AFAIK
but seems to be partitioned. I'm curious; what's on it?

> but I thought the "c" parition was the entire disk, and the one that's
> supposed to be mounted, not "a".  Has something changed recently with
> paritions and slices? Am I missing something? Being stupid?

Indeed, a is reserverd for root, b for swap, c the whole disk and d-z are user
defineable. Nothing has changed, and you certainly don't seem stupid to be :)

> Thanks.

Hope it's helpfull,
Gr,
--