Date:      Sun, 22 Mar 1998 23:45:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Hamish MacGregor <buckaroo@ecn.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install problem

On Sat, 21 Mar 1998, Hamish MacGregor wrote:

> My first plan was to download the required files to my Pentium, then
> make them available on via ftp, from which I could install (since the
> 486 I want to install on doesn't have a modem). I got everything from
> /FreeBSD-stable/src and ran the boot floppy, pointing at the IP address
> of the other Pentium. It kept saying "Unknown Network Error".

Press ALT-F2 and see what errors you're getting.

> So, I made
> a 200MB partition on the 486, and copied the files via zipdisk across to
> C:\FREEBSD. No luck there either, it kept telling me I was missing the
> bin docs manpages dict distributions.

. did you organize the directories as described in INSTALL.TXT?
. Did you remember to download the .inf files and put them in the correct
  directories?

> So... main questions are:
> What am I meant to download? /FreeBSD-stable/src?

No, no no; you don't want the source code :)

Suggestion: Don't install -stable.  Start at the release and then upgrade
to -stable (don't forget to subscribe to stable@freebsd.org first!!)

> What directory doe I put it in if I'm creating a local ftp site for
> myself?

It should be anonymously available as /pub/FreeBSD/2.2.x-RELEASE/

> What about the 8.3 filenames?

Problem.