Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2012 10:49:14 -0400
From:      Super Bisquit <superbisquit@gmail.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@mittelstaedt.us>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Kernel memory usage
References:  <4F5D48E6.9010802@herveybayaustralia.com.au> <CA%2BWntOt=4P=%2BmdAX3G1s5jQHxt9HFSN6c%2BxTjo9cQAsaSgdJqw@mail.gmail.com> <4F5F2CC5.80608@herveybayaustralia.com.au> <CA%2BWntOv%2B%2BtkAms%2BOQtW-bH=3f7VnUhtA7SA1c8dQYwZho5aX4g@mail.gmail.com> <4F615D09.8030009@mittelstaedt.us> <CA%2BWntOth%2BQinHiU0GSq=ozbswnqx0v1Gui2D3mrjkZhke3Ounw@mail.gmail.com> <4F617C63.9030106@mittelstaedt.us> <4F618F2B.7040709@herveybayaustralia.com.au> <4F642D63.10600@mittelstaedt.us>

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 2:21 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@mittelstaedt.us>wrote:

> On 3/14/2012 11:41 PM, Da Rock wrote:
>
>> On 03/15/12 15:21, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>>
>>> A number of FreeBSD kernel structures are dynamically created at
>>> boot time - based on the amount of ram in the system. I would guess
>>> if you boot your stripped BSD image on a virtual system with 64Mb of
>>> ram you wouldn't see the kernel grow to 32MB
>>>
>> So how do I find out how large the "kernel" is then in memory?
>>

> Boot it!  From:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_**US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/**
> configtuning-kernel-limits.**html<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-kernel-limits.html>;
>
> "...The variable kern.maxusers is automatically sized at boot based on
>
>  the amount of memory available in the system, and may be determined at
>
>  run-time by inspecting the value of the read-only kern.maxusers sysctl..."
>
> A whole bunch of kernel parameters are calculated at boot based on this
> figure.  Those make the kernel bigger or smaller.
>
> As to how "large" it is, the file descriptors, clusters and so on that
> are calculated at boot are considered part of the kernel from a memory
> standpoint.
>

>  And how
>
>> did this conversation make it to emulation@? :)
>>

> beats me.