Date:      Mon, 26 May 1997 15:40:50 -0400
From:      "Troy Settle" <rewt@i-Plus.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "P. van Leeuwen" <pvl@nanoteq.com>
Subject:   Re: ed0 timeout

From: P. van Leeuwen <pvl@nanoteq.com>
>Hi
>
>I'm having strange problems with my pc.
>First, I noticed the following error, it being repeated a zillion
times :)

>/kernel : ed0 : device timeout
>
>Sometimes it seems to be fatal, as I would lose my network
connection, but
>other times ( like now ) my connection is fine, but the error is
there. I have changed
>the network adapter three times and this morning a put in a new
motherboard, and still
>no change. My hardware is as follows :
>
>133Mhz Pentium
>Asus P/I -P55TVP4/133
>IDE controller + 1.6G drive
>D-link De220 network adapter (in non PNP mode)
>
>The error started when I upgraded to 2.2-stable from 2.2.1-RELEASE.
The make world
>also failed twice. The error is probably hardware related, because
both
>NT and DOS give me network errors. But can it be the adapter? (All
three?)

>Any suggestions?

I've had this come up a few times, and after much fussing, it turned
out to be bad network media.  I had to replace a segment of coax that
had been damaged when crushed by a desk.  Other times, it was either
a terminator or a T that had gone bad.

If you are indeed using coax as your network media, make sure that
one end is grounded (only one end).  Second, make sure that each
piece of wire is long enough (I would say at least 6 feet).  Third,
check to see if there's any T
's that are gone bad (doens't take much).  Finally, make sure that
your terminators are in good shape.  Remember also, that you can only
have 2 terminators on any one network.

If you are using TP wiring, make sure that all the connections are
good, and that you have at least cat3 wire for 10baseT, and cat5 for
100baseT.  One bad connection can cause major problems on such a
network.

In both cases, a test kit is indespensible.

--
Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
Network Administrator, iPlus Internet Services