Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 1995 22:07:41 -0600
From:      nate@sneezy.sri.com (Nate Williams)
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NOTICE: If you care, speak now!

Richard Wackerbarth writes:
> >nice, but I doubt your timing is good.  This seems to be too extensive
> >for 2.1 at this time.
>
> 1) I've been working on this idea for some time. The changes to do a 90%
> job are really pretty minor.

The first 90% of the time you spend on a project take up 90% of the
time.  The other 10% of the project takes up the remaining 90% of the
time.  It's always the last 10% of the job that scares me the most.

> 2) There are no changes to any of the code, just the makefiles and .mk files.
>    Debugging is very simple. -- Either everything compiles or it doesn't.
>    If you have a proper /usr/src and /usr/obj with the "make obj" links
> installed, you would not notice any difference.

That is the kind of extensive changes that shouldn't be made this late
in the game.

> 3) This is no more of a change than the changes to "install" that are being
> so widely advocated.

Huh?  The install change affects *one* utility, but the changes you are
advocating effect the entire build process, and from the sounds of it
every Makefile.  And, as a rebuttal, even though the install changes are
to one tool, because of the significance of the tool those changes might
not make it into the release.

Nate