Date:      Sun, 23 Nov 1997 12:27:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@tri-lakes.net>, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Advice on new SCSI hardware

On Sun, 23 Nov 1997, Stefan Esser wrote:

> On 1997-11-19 23:05 -0800, Tom <tom@sdf.com> wrote:
> >   Tekram?  Why?  All the tekram controllers I know are dogs.
>
> What do you mean by that ?

  I was speaking of the old Tekram cards (ie non-PCI).

> >   A NCR875 based card (like the Diamand Fireport 40) are pretty cheap, and
> > fast.  The Adaptec 2940 series performs a bit better handling lots of
> > requests, but is kinda of expensive.  However, some motherboards come with
> > aic7880 (Adaptec) UW controller on the motherboard, for way less.
>
> The on-board SCSI chips have the advantage, that they
> don't require a valuable PCI slot. But in fact they
> are often more expensive than a standard motherboard
> and a seperate NCR/Symbios SCSI card, which can be

  Really?  I don't find this at all, with the motherboards with builin
aic7880 chips.  Very cheap generallly (like the ASUS P55T2P4S, or the new
ASUS P2L97-S).

> moved into your next system, while the on-board chip
> can't ...

  I don't know about you, but any old motherboard gets up getting used
somewhere else, around here, so the fact the SCSI is builtin is not an
issue.

> I never regetted buying an ASUS SP3G with an on-board
> ncr53c810 controller some 3 years ago ...

  I have one of those too.

> Regards, STefan

Tom