Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 21:37:10 -0500
From:      "Jeff Rogers" <jlr@soltec.net>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Error mounting CD ROM & dwhite's answer

On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Jeff Rogers wrote

cdrom. @
>> time I try I get a "cd9660 /dev/wcd0c input/output error"
message.

> Make sure your CDROM is mounted and is detecting >
correctly on bootup.

Okay, how do I do this?  Is it with "dmsg?"  I'm almost
TOTALLY new to FreeBSD/Unix.  I'm a pitiful MS GUI infected
person. :-)  I think I see it, though, identified during the bootup
procedure.  It follows the lines about the HDD's, as I recall.

> What brand/model of CDROM drive do you have?

It's a Wahrens 24x, which I bought at Best Buy early on this
year.  It is ATAPI, and I did install from it, by booting through
it.  But accessing it inside FreeBSD won't work.  I have an
older Acer 4x, and I thought about giving it a shot.  I've heard
that sometimes the "cheaper" CD ROMS, as in mine, from
places like where I bought mine, do tend to cause mysterious
problems.

Hope this can further help.  And thanks!

Doug White                              | University of Oregon
Internet  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | Residence Networking
Assistant

Cheers!
Jeff Rogers