Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 00:33:10 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        des@ofug.org (Dag-Erling Smorgrav)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), ragnar@sysabend.org (Jamie Bowden), dot@dotat.at (Tony Finch), res03db2@gte.net (Robert Clark), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ideas about network interfaces.

> > If nothing else, "en" based aliases could be providedm and if
> > people wanted to name them explicitly instead, and have to
> > hack up the interface names in all their scripts, they could
> > still do that (if they were insane).
>
> Everybody who does not agree with you, or is satisfied with a system
> you dislike, is insane?

Anyone who avoids a small amount of work for themselves at
the expense of a huge amount of work for others is "insane".

Why do people want to hack up scripts that they don't have
to hack, except for the sake of some valueless namespace
differentiation between drivers they could care less about,
when what they are interested in is network connectivity?

Why do people want to have to configure things that their
software could configure for them?

What is the point here, to ensure job security for people
who, without this needless obfuscation, would have to learn
how to ask "would you like fries with that?"?

It makes no sense to make things unnecessarily complicated,
with no other justification than "that's how it has always
beeen, so that's how it should always be".

Consider a laptop, where the connectivity changes between
the undocked and docked states, but there is no need for
the network configuration to change.  Yet the user is still
required to hack scripts.

This is as bad as Windows, with its "hardware profiles"; at
least Windows gives you the option of selecting between the
available profiles at boot time; FreeBSD doesn't even give
you that (yet).  Unifying the network interface namespace
is a step in the right direction.  I would be happy to not
have to hack up scripts to get network conectivity, the
next time I install FreeBSD, or duplicate an existing setup
on a new machine.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---