Date:      Fri, 05 Dec 2003 16:52:26 +0000
From:      "rotten rottie" <r0tt13@hotmail.com>
To:        wegster@mindcore.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions about updating...

I know this is probably a touchy subject but..

"... the ports tree isn't versioned, it's the equivalent of current...."

Wouldnt it be logical to have current/stable versions of the ports tree ?
Then when you install a base system from cd it could install a stable pkg
version, then once the system is installed you could use a port-supfile for
"stable" and update all of the pkg versions that are installed instead of
cvs'ing /usr/src and recompiling the system ? Save the /usr/src for the core
os, and allow things like bind, ssh, ssl to be updated with portupgrade
instead of a make world or having to make the apps manually.

I am sorry if I stepped on any toes .. I dont mean to stir up any trouble ..
Just an outside observer trying to get started with freebsd.