Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:38:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        assar@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>, security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PAM/SSH and KerberosIV?

On 21 Feb 2001 assar@FreeBSD.org wrote:

> Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> > However, this seems to have broken using unique kerberos ticket filenames
> > for each session -- now it always uses /tmp/tkt1000 for uid 1000, rather
> > than /tmp/tkt1000_randomnumber, meaning that if you log in twice, the
> > first logout hoses the tickets for the second session.  This didn't happen
> > previously, and is probably an issue with pam_kerberosIV.so that I didn't
> > run into previously since I always logged in via SSH.  It's probably not a
> > security hole as presumably KTH does the right thing with regards to
> > O_EXCL and so on, but it's not ideal.
>
> That's what src/lib/libpam/modules/pam_kerberosIV/klogin.c does, and
> yes, it should be perfectly safe.

Ok, so I was right in surmising it not a security hole.  Any hope of
moving to a model with ticket filenames created using mkstemp?  Right now
multiple SSH sessions use the same ticket file, so when any of them logs
out, all sessions lose their ticket.  This is a substantial down-turn
compared to before pam_kerberosIV in SSH.