Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 14:05:24 +0200
From:      Martin Krzysiak <mak@irb.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4.3-20010812-STABLE: some experiences of a newbie

Somehow I got 3 mails with same contents.
Can You reply to the mailing-list only, please?

On Tuesday 14 August 2001 14:34, you wrote:
> It's part of the network setup dialog in /stand/sysinstall. Since your box
> is already running, edit /etc/rc.conf. That file is documented in
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf. 'man rc.conf' is likely to be helpful. Hint: copy
> lines that you want to change from /etc/defaults/rc.conf to /etc/rc.conf
> and set the new value there.

Of course I found it in rc.conf.... But it's not fair to call someone
Amnesiac when he hasn't done anything wrong (yet).
:)

> STABLE is actually newer than RELEASE. Think of RELEASE of a snapshot off
> of the STABLE trail. Have a look at the FreeBSD handbook:
> http://www.freebsd.org/handbook, section 20. You will find this handbook
> quite useful.

Yea, I already noticed that it's a good document.

> Then there is http://www.freebsddiary.org/ which has quite a few useful
> tutorials and http://daily.daemonnews.org/, a slashdot--type news site,
> although far more quiet. :)

OK, I'll bookmark these.

> > 5) I know there is /stand/sysinstall, but I would prefer to
> >     have a reasonable fdisk.
>
> /stand/sysinstall strikes me as quite a reasonable fdisk. You can always
> use the tools from the olden days. "man disklabel", "man newfs".

Well, I would like to have fdisk, because I have got 3
different OSes on my disk and using fdisk for Windows
which has got lots of bugs... is... scary.

> It stores your boot selection in there, so that it can present your last
> choice as the default. *shrug* I like it the way it is.

I see... but it shouldn't be done like that, because I want to
protect my boot-sector against modifications (Windows
loves to write to the bootsector on various occasions...).
I consider the boot-sector (with my partition table)
as the most sensitive part of the hard disk. When this
sector is gone... you can say 'Bye!' to your hard disk.
That's why boot managers usually use boot PARTITIONS
to store their data.
Second problem is... imagine what happens when a user
switches his box off while having a write operation...

> Well, look for suid root and sgid wheel binaries "man find". That will tell
> you a lot. On the whole you will find that users are pretty limited in
> nasty things they can do. Without involving screwdrivers and chewing gum
> that is.

Yea... yea... I thought there was a quick way to explain what the group
'wheel' is for.

> There's sometimes some trash left. The package system makes an MD5 checksum
> of each installed file and removes only files that have the identical MD5
> checksum upon pkg_delete.
>
> Thus, if you edit a config file, and delete the package, the config file
> will remain in the filesystem. Have a look in /var/db/pkg/.

Ic ic...

> Welcome to FreeBSD.
>
>     Kees Jan

Thanks for the help,