Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2006 21:10:58 +1100 (EST)
From:      <disposable42-fm@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   CD device no longer works in new FreeBSD releases?

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but I've been trying
to get FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE working on a laptop, a Compaq Armada V300.
I boot the installation off the CD drive, go through the setup process
fine, but when I have to choose the installation method, it reports `No CD
devices found!'. Disabling ACPI didn't do anything, either.
I remembered I had an old FreeBSD 4.10 disk lying around, so I gave that a
go as a last resort, and lo and behold, it worked- it installed everything
off the first CD. Haven't tried 5.x, I assume the latest release would
support the most hardware.

Were some drivers removed after 4.x, or isn't the installer detecting the
CDROM? Is there any way to fix this, or should I stick to 4.x (or, eek,
Linux)? It's a `CRN-8241B' if that helps, but anything that turns up on
Google seems to be about 4.x, and works fine.

Thanks in advance, but apologies if I've posted to the wrong place.

-Anthony

On Yahoo!7
Messenger - Make free PC-to-PC calls to your friends overseas.
http://au.messenger.yahoo.com