Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 12:42:17 -0500
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ssh login

Ted Sikora <tsikora@powerusersbbs.com> probably said:
> That was it. How can root be dangerous in ssh.. isn't that why it
> exists? Or would using su be better? I usually use ssh to remotely
> administer the servers.

Log in as a normal user and su to root.

It's the same reason most UNIXes don't allow remote logins as root; if
you allow passworded root logins you only have one password between a
remote user and root access. If you make them su (the correct way, in
most people's minds) then you have two passwords between them and
root.

Personally I restrict ssh access even further.

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu