Date:      Fri, 3 Dec 2004 12:26:28 +0200
From:      Nelis Lamprecht <nlamprecht@gmail.com>
To:        Brian Barto <bartobri@comcast.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: problem with net-snmp while installing ethereal from ports

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 19:34:26 -0500, Brian Barto <bartobri@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi all, i'm trying to install ethereal from ports. It says it depends
> on shared library netsnmp.6 and the make shortly fails after with the
> following error: shared library "netsnmp.6" does not exist
>
> The net-snmp web site says the latest is 5.2
>
> My ports tree was updated two days ago. What am I not getting here?

Based on what information you have provided I can offer you the
following advice:

Either build the ethereal port with the following argument 'make
WITHOUT_SNMP=yes'
OR
install /usr/ports/net-mgmt/net-snmp[1] first

[1] usually this is done automatically but something may be borked in
the port so try doing it manually.

nelis