Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 12:04:29 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        John Merryweather Cooper <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is the magical incantation necessary to print to /dev/ulpt0

John Merryweather Cooper <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net> types:
> On 2001.08.12 06:26 Mike Meyer wrote:
> > John Merryweather Cooper <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net> types:
> > > I have a DFI AK74-EC motherboard (VIA 686 chipset) and a Lexmark Z51
> > > printer.  I would like to be able to print to the Z51 using /dev/ulpt0.
> >
> > > When connected, my dmesg output indicates that the Z51 is detected and
> > > connected to /dev/ulpt0.  However, attempts to print to this port
> > (using
> > > apsfilter, cp some_text_file /dev/ulpt0, etc.) have resulted in no
> > activity
> > > and no apparent transfer of data to the printer.
> > >
> > > So the question comes, what must I say over my computer to make things
> > > print?  :)
>
> No, I can confirm that the Z51 is not a "WinPrinter"--this same printer
> works great hooked up through USB to an OS/2 machine.  I'm almost positive
> that no data is reaching the printer.

I'm not familiar with OS/2, but compatability with Windows was one of
it's selling points. Are you sure you're not running a rendering
engine on the OS/2 box?

If dmesg shows the that printer being connected to ulpt0 and copying
data to /dev/ulpt0 doesn't result in data showing up at the printer,
then the problem is probably hardware. It may be that lexmark and the
ulpt implementor disagree about some part of the standard, which is a
hardware bug if lexmark is wrong, or a software bug if ulpt is
wrong. In the latter case, you'll need to debug the driver.

Oh yeah - the one time I had a problem like this, it turned out that
the USB controller was trying to share an IRQ with something that
didn't play nicely. Tweaking the IRQ configuration fixed the problem.

	<mike