Date:      Wed, 25 Jan 1995 16:32:12 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, wkk@eng.warwick.ac.uk
Subject:   Re: Assembler error

>	I am trying to compile mach4 server on FreeBSD. Theoretically it should
>compile but I get the following error in file that has some assembler code. I
>am not an assembler expert but looking at the error it look likes the assembler
>is getting confused with the text and data segment (I think). Can anyone help?

>	.bss
>	.align 4
>_mach_bmod_bss:

The .bss directive isn't really supported by gas.  I seem to remember
that it used to be ignored.  Now it is fatal.  You could try removing
it, but there are likely to be problems with code that was supposed to
be in the bss section.  Space in the bss section must be reserved using
the directives .comm and .lcomm, not using .space or .long etc.  Putting
a label at the start of the bss section is difficult.  Normally the
label `_edata' is (ab)used.

Bruce