Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 01:33:43 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   VM Questions - Swap "Disabling"

I've been digging for this answer through various resources, including the
source code and various search engines and can't find the answer to this.

By the way, those of you who work in the vm code are either gods or have
a mind which is significantly more twisted than mine.  (That was a
compliment, I think).

I am building FreeBSD on a Flash-based system.  The desired effect is that
when the system is running low on memory, it should be free to free
"clean" data/code pages which it read from disk(flash) and hasn't been
forced to copy due to a write.   However, there will not be swap, so
"pure" swapping should be disabled.

Could someone be kind enough to tell me, in the context of "freeing
code/data which is as read from disk" versus "swapping modified data to
disk", what each of these options do (plus any other options I might want
to try)?

The options are:

   NO_SWAPPING (in makefile)
   vm.defer_swapspace_pageouts (sysctl)
   vm.disable_swapspace_pageouts (sysctl)

I am fairly versed in the overall VM theory, but I am obviously not versed
enough to actually be able to understand what the @#($* the code is
actually doing.

Thanks!

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) AC7DE